Sunday, January 2, 2011

Music Monday: "Give It All" by Rise Against

"Break through the undertow, your hands I can't seem to find. Pollution burns my tongue, cough words I can't speak. So I stop my struggling, then I float to the surface. Fill my lungs with air, then let it out 
I give it all, now there’s a reason why I sing, 
So give it all, and it's these reasons that belong to me"

I'm just going to go ahead and say this: I am one of the biggest Stretch Arm Strong (the band) fans that ever lived. Their music has been, and will always be, a major part of my life. Today's song however, might top them for the number one seat in my favorite songs list. I was introduced to Rise Against by a friend of mine at work a while back. I was immediately captivated not only by their musical aspect, but lyrical genius as well. This song captivated me from the very first time I heard it.

Let me break down why this particular song means so much to me. For those who haven't read my post on my UNFILTERED blog, please check it out here before continuing. That post was written after one of the longest weekends I have ever spent at work. The last few days have seemed that epic to me, and being away from home and my family so much has hurt my heart to its core. I have been sore, exhausted, and barely able to hold my head up/


"Breathe, the air we give, the life we live, our pulses racing distances, 
so wet my tongue, break into song, through seas of competition,"


This song is where a lot of the strength to get up, dust off, and keep pressing on comes from. There has to be a voice inside of one's self that speaks louder than the negativity. There has to be a strength that is sought after and found. It doesn't just appear from nowhere. As a husband and a dad, I often find myself feeling overwhelmed with life. From bills to sick kids, work, and The Wifey going to school. I feel like I can't keep going and offer everything I have to them. But then I remember that they are the reason I do this all.


"We give it all, now there’s a reason why I sing,
So give it all, and it's these reasons that belong to me
Today I offer all myself to this I'm living for my dying wish, 
I give it all, now there's a reason, there's a reason, to give it all"

Not only has this song helped me when I was low, but it has also been the backbone music to the strength to do new things, step into unknown territories, and conquer the things in life I need to in order to be what my family needs me to be. There are many things I would like to change about myself. Health wise, attitude wise, mentally, physically. Many things that take more strength than I typically possess.

Today, and one day at a time, I offer all of myself to my family. There is a reason to give it all. There is a reason to brush myself off, pick my feet back up, and continue to press on. My dying wish, to know that I did all I could for my family. That I was what they needed me to be, when they needed me to be it, and that is what I live for.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts!